Here is an example of an IE data model. This is from my Infinite Skills video course Learning Data Modeling. The model was created with ERwin. This corresponds to the UML data model.
Here is an example of a UML (Unified Modeling Language) data model. This is from my Infinite Skills video course Learning Data Modeling. The model was created with the Enterprise Architect tool by Sparx Systems. This corresponds to the IE data model.
picture by Rob Blank via Flickr
That’s what we often tell our clients. If you build a database properly, performance will be fast for 80% of applications. The remaining 20% are outside the scope of this article – they have complex issues such as large schema, massive data, multi-user contention, and intricate logic.
Here are ten guidelines that developers can use to obtain good database performance. The guidelines apply to the day-to-day operational systems that run on a relational database.